My Name is Bones and I am a Rocker. In 2004 I bought a 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120RV. Having grown up on Rock 'n Roll, it was not a far leap to find myself drawn to British Rocker Culture of the 1950's and 60's. My Occupation as a American Service Member has afforded me the opportunity to travel all over the world. with this bike I have been to the Arctic in Alaska, to the deep-dirty south of Lower Alabama to the white sand beaches of Waikiki to my current location near the city of Pyongtaek, in South Korea. My assignment here is for 12 months and I will chronicle my adventure here.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

16 May, 2010

What started out as a beautiful day turned to crap in short order. I kitted up and went to breakfast and topped off the fuel. I did notice that I either have a sticking float or something on the bottom of the right carb and it was spitting fuel from the overflow tube. Tapped on it and the spitting stopped, no worries.

I head out toward Highway 34 and some nice twisties. it is sunny, clear and about 70 F (22 C). I get about 10 miles from the base and KA-BANG!, sounded like a rifle shot come off the right side of the engine. The engine dies and I coast to the shoulder, my right ear ringing like I just got off the range. I look down thinking WTF just happened and notice the right spark plug is not in the spark plug hole, but hanging by the wire and flapping in the breeze.

I look it over and see that the threads of the spark plug hole stripped out. attempting the reseat the plug is fruitless as it just spins in the hole. Now the question, do I call for a ride or attempt to one-lung it back to the house? I opt for the latter, pulling the plug and wire to avoid any stray sparks setting off the atomized fuel that I know will be coming out of the open plug hole.

I turn up the Idle a bit on the left side, kick it over and it starts on the first kick. This is promising. Put it in gear and off I go. I can feel the compression of the right cylinder hitting my arm as I limp it down the road and of course the engine has a whole different sound. but long story short, it got me back to the house without further incident. All that is left now is repair the plug hole. It sucks that it wrecked the riding day, but it is not the end of the world.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I read about your blog at my bike cafe in DAUM. We are Korean riders of Royal Enfield.(http://cafe.daum.net/royalenfieldrider) If you join us as a special guest, it would be nice! Let's Ride Together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like very much to meet other Brit riders. As soon as I get this repair complete, I will be ready to meet for a burn up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you a text message and have your number, I am deleting the previous post so your number is not out on the interweb. text me or call anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kindness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey~ Congratulation! I've got your mail.
    I hope that'll ba not happen again so soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. when you ride vintage, you never walk alone.

    ReplyDelete