My Name is Bones and I am a Rocker. In 2004 I bought a 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120RV. Having grown up on Rock 'n Roll, it was not a far leap to find myself drawn to British Rocker Culture of the 1950's and 60's. My Occupation as a American Service Member has afforded me the opportunity to travel all over the world. with this bike I have been to the Arctic in Alaska, to the deep-dirty south of Lower Alabama to the white sand beaches of Waikiki to my current location near the city of Pyongtaek, in South Korea. My assignment here is for 12 months and I will chronicle my adventure here.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

18 Sept, 2010 Part III






getting near the end of the day we start going up these really well maintained mountain roads. canyon carving and switchbacks like I have only seen in SoCal on the Hansen Dam rides. I am like a kid in a candy store. The Triumph is just loving this and I am loving it even more. I have been babying the bike up to today and she is begging me to cut her loose. I did learn that even with the lower geared sprockets I am running she will hit the ton+. The RE's try to keep up, but it ain't happening unless I let it.

that is at least up until my clutch disintegrated. Coming up the last mountain, I started to notice some slip in the clutch. at the summit, the was nothing left. upon disassembly I found that all The screws holding the backside of the cush hub backed themselves out and it chewed the hell out of the clutch basket. it is salvageable, but my riding day was done. Had to pay a farmer to haul me 80 miles back to the house.

This is a good enough time to talk about the brotherhood of the motorcyclist. As much as I will never understand the cultural nuances of the people here in Korea, I can honestly say that the Royal Enfield Club of Korea are some of the most stand up folks that I have had the pleasure of riding with. When I broke, they went out of their way to help me fix it, even riding 30Km to the next town to try to find 15/16ths socket. When they could not source a tool, they got me a truck and driver and made sure that he did not rob me blind. And they stay with me on top of a mountain after dark even as it started to get cold. As much as I have read about RUB's and Posers that have flooded the roads with their stupidity, guys like this reaffirm my belief in humanity.

1 comment:

  1. nice little trip with the locals is always nice.
    I found the Koreans to be a friendly and helpful lot if you can break the ice.

    Be sure to return the favor they did you. Invite the club for an "excuse" ride and treat to coffee or snacks.

    Your blog is the only one I go to. I Always enjoy it.

    I have fond memories of Korea and its people.

    ReplyDelete