My Name is Bones and I am a Rocker. In 2004 I bought a 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120RV. Having grown up on Rock 'n Roll, it was not a far leap to find myself drawn to British Rocker Culture of the 1950's and 60's. My Occupation as a American Service Member has afforded me the opportunity to travel all over the world. with this bike I have been to the Arctic in Alaska, to the deep-dirty south of Lower Alabama to the white sand beaches of Waikiki to my current location near the city of Pyongtaek, in South Korea. My assignment here is for 12 months and I will chronicle my adventure here.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

18 Sept, 2010 Part I






This is going to be a minimum 3 part blog because so much happened today and I got a lot of pictures and even if I did have to ride back to the house in a truck it was still a fabulous day.

I learned last week that the event was cancelled, but that the RE Club was still going to tour the countryside as they had already booked and paid for a cabin. they had planned on riding a bunch of roads in the Northeast side of the country. I had to work late on the day that they were leaving Seoul, so my plan was to blast the 130 miles across the peninsula as soon as I got cut loose.

I set out a 2:30 am with the clothes on my back, a leather jacket and a camera figuring that I would sleep when I got there. I Also figured the quicker I got there, the quicker I could get some sleep. I averaged about 60 MPH and got there 2 and a half hours later. This seems slow, but given that the speed limit on most non-toll highways in Korea is 80 KPH (49 MPH), i made pretty good time. Upon arrival, I was able to grab a spot of the floor and catch a couple hours much needed sleep.

Once the sun came up the cabin became a buzz of activity. The Sturgis Folks screwed up big time. the weather could not be better. Clear blue skies and sunshine, what more could anyone ask for.

We headed out to grab some breakfast. a tradition breakfast in Korea is nothing like you'd expect. Bimbop is a steamed vegetables on rice with some fried egg and a spicy paste that will peel paint if you let it sit long enough. Choke this down, gas up ($25 for a tank of gas) and hit the road. Next stop, the beach.

I really am not one to ride with a big group. I have always just kind have done my own thing. I also speak very little Hongul (Korean). So it stands to reason that I would have no clue what all these hand and arm signals mean. it was like they were having a conversation or something. I got the basics, go right go left, stop etc, but that was about it.. it took me a little while to settle into their groove.

If you are wondering why they are wearing masks, the speed cameras that are everywhere only capture the front. since bikes do not have plates on the front, the only way to identify the rider is to cross-reference the face picture with the DMV License photo. No Face, No Ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment